On Global Running Day I decided to go for a swim, but Garmin announced the Forerunner 55. The successor of the Forerunner 45. There is no longer an ‘s’ edition. For now, at least, the Forerunner 55 is only available in 42mm size.
The list of what’s new is best in, well, a list.
- Connect IQ Data fields support
- Connect IQ Apps
- Connect IQ widgets
- Running Cadence
- Swim Activity Profile
- HIIT Activity Profile
- 20 hour battery life in GPS mode (up from 13)
- 2 weeks of watch mode (up from 1)
- A gram heavier! – I know, ridiculous right? It weighs 37 grams now.
- Sunrise/Sunset time
- Breathing count (also during workout)
- Relax Reminders – if your stress spikes, your watch will notify you
- Hydration – track when you drink
- Menstrual cycle tracking
- Pregnancy tracking
- Recovery Time
- Limited Workout suggestions
What’s not new?
I’m not going to list ALL the features. Just some you might expect to have changes.
So first, the size. Sorta. As a said earlier, the new Forerunner 55 only comes in a 42mm edition, which is the same size as the Forerunner 45.
The screen is the same. Same size/diameter. Same pixel density.
The Forerunner is available in four colors: white, black, aqua and “Monterra Grey”.
Prices & Availability
The Garmin Forerunner 55 is available immediately at the Garmin website and the mrsp is $199. I don’t expect this price to drop soon. Compared to the FR45, it’s a slight increase of $30 at the moment, but Garmin is looking to get rid of the 45’s so that makes sense.t
Just a note about the “links to buy” in this article, as they are sponsored. I do look for the lowest price I can find at the time of writing in a handful of stores, but by using the links I earn from qualifying purchases made through these links.