With the everlasting introduction of new products, the 5xx series now has seen the 500, 510, 520 (plus) and now the 530.
If you’re looking into which device is right for you, here are the differences between the 520 plus and the 530 and hopefully will help you make your decision.
At the end of this comparison I’ll list the prices. If you use these links I get a small kickback upon your purchase which I use to maintain this website.
Looks & Specs
You can definitely tell the difference between the two deviced, the newer Edge 530 has a bit rounder design and sports a larger screen. The buttons look a bit nicer and the overall feel of the 530 is in my opinion not a ‘cheap’ feeling.
Since look and feel is mostly personal, I’ve put them next to eachoter in the following images. The first two are only the 530’s new MTB feature and the ClimbPro feature.
|Spec||Edge 520 Plus||Edge 530|
|Screen||2.3″ (5.8 4cm)||2.6″ (6.6 cm)|
|Resolution||200 x 265 px.||246 x 322 px.|
|Dimensions||1.9” x 2.9” x 0.8”
(49.0 x 73.0 x 21.0 mm)
|1.9″ x 3.2″ x 0.8″
(50 x 82 x 20 mm)
|Weight||2.2 oz (62.5 g)||2.7 oz (75.8 g)|
|Battery Life||15 hrs.||20 hrs.|
So, to make your decision, this is probably the part you’re looking for. I’ve listed all differences I could find and added my thoughts if I believe there’s something to keep in mind or just to help you decide if the feature is worth it for you.
- Bigger screen
- WiFi – no need to sync via your phone (sweet!)
- Bluetooth Smart sensor support – more options for more sensors.
- Heat Acclimation – The Edge 530 takes heat & humidity into account for your performance & recovery metrics (great!)
- ClimbPro – When riding a route it will tell you how much longer your climb is, good feature when you’re in an unknown area.
- Altitude Acclimation – Knows when you’re in high elevation and uses this for performance/recovery metrics (useful when you regularly go to mountains)
- Bike Alarm Feature – You know when you stop for coffee and you leave your bike, nervously keeping an eye on it? The Edge 530 can let you know when it detects movement with an alarm!
- Hydration & Nutrition Alerts: Riding a route or course it will let you know when to eat and drink. Great feature, I tend to forget!
- Complete on-board turn by turn map database for your region no more custom maps!
Some features that are improvements, but I don’t see as real added value:
- Better CPU – This is nice and noticable when routing, but you don’t really need-need it unless you plan to change your mind often on where to go.
- Better battery life – I personally don’t mind charging it – I charge my phone daily too…
- Battery Pack Support – See my previous point.
- Tack Nutrition & Hydration – add what you took during your ride to Connect using the Edge 530. I don’t use this, but if you use this in connect, you can add it easily now.
- Performance Power Curve – See your mean maximal power, nice feature, but you can see this online too from the comfort of your sofa.
These features I have less experience with, but are added:
- Mountainbike Metrics – Jump, Grit and Flow is shown on the Edge and in connect.
- Trailforks maps – Trailforks data/maps embedded in the Edge 530
- ForkSight – shows you the options when you stop at a trail fork.
- Training Plan Gear & Weather Tips.
- ‘Find my Edge’ – Allows you to view your edge’s location – not sure how this works when not connected to WiFi..
- Use Traning Plans – I’ve never used a training plan from a site, so I can’t judge.
In the box
Both devices come int three flavours. ‘Just the unit’ which has, obviously, the device. Then you also get an aero holder, a stem holder, and a charging cable.
Then you have the Mtb Bundles. Don’t be fooled by the MTB bundles. The bundle of the 530 is a bit more packed than the 520’s.
You’ll get a speed Sensor, rubber case, mtb holder and a remote with the 530 where the 520’s mbt bundle comes with only the mtb-steer holder. Quite the difference!
Then you also have the Speed/Cadence or “Performance” Bundle for both. Then they come with a Cadence Sensor, Speed Sensor and HRM chest strap on top of what you get with ‘just the device’.
Which one to buy?
Personally I always like the latest and greatest, but in this case I think the (current) price difference is worth going for the 530. It has the features which I’ve felt missing on the Edge 520.
A new addition to my site is a price tracker. While I’m still adding products and prices, the Edge 530 is already available, go check it out for more information, other reviews and the latest and lowest prices!
Edge 520 prices
Edge 530 prices
For the lowest price: See my product tracker!