With the everlasting introduction of new products, the 8xx series now has seen the 800, 810, 820 and now the 830.
If you’re looking into which device is right for you, here are the differences between the 820 plus and the 830 and hopefully will help you make your decision.
It’s already hard to find a new Edge 820, Garmin themselves don’t sell it anymore. For more information, reviews, videos and the latest prices check out my productwatch for the Edge 830 and Edge 820.
Looks & Specs
You can definitely tell the difference between the two devices, the newer Edge 830 has a bit rounder design and sports a larger screen.
Since look and feel is mostly personal, I’ve put them next to each other in the following images. Please note this is not to scale!
|Spec||Edge 820||Edge 830|
|Screen||2.3″ (5.8 4cm)||2.6″ (6.6 cm)|
|Resolution||200 x 265 px.||246 x 322 px.|
|Dimensions||1.9” x 2.9” x 0.8”|
(49.0 x 73.0 x 21.0 mm)
|1.9″ x 3.2″ x 0.8″|
(50 x 82 x 20 mm)
|Weight||2.4 oz (67.7 g)||2.8 oz (79.1 g)|
|Battery Life||15 hrs.||20 hrs.|
So, to make your decision, this is probably the part you’re looking for. I’ve listed all differences I could find and added my thoughts if I believe there’s something to keep in mind or just to help you decide if the feature is worth it for you.
- Bigger screen
- Bluetooth Smart sensor support – more options for more sensors.
- Heat Acclimation – The Edge 830 takes heat & humidity into account for your performance & recovery metrics (great!)
- ClimbPro – When riding a route it will tell you how much longer your climb is, good feature when you’re in an unknown area.
- Altitude Acclimation – Knows when you’re in high elevation and uses this for performance/recovery metrics (useful when you regularly go to mountains)
- Bike Alarm Feature – You know when you stop for coffee and you leave your bike, nervously keeping an eye on it? The Edge 830 can let you know when it detects movement with an alarm!
- Hydration & Nutrition Alerts: Riding a route or course it will let you know when to eat and drink. Great feature, I tend to forget!
- Complete on-board turn by turn map database for your region no more custom maps!
- Improved touch screen
Some features that are improvements, but I don’t see as real added value:
- Better CPU – This is nice and noticeable when routing, but you don’t really need-need it unless you plan to change your mind often on where to go.
- Better battery life – I personally don’t mind charging it – I charge my phone daily too…
- Battery Pack Support – See my previous point.
- Tack Nutrition & Hydration – add what you took during your ride to Connect using the Edge 830. I don’t use this, but if you use this in connect, you can add it easily now.
- Performance Power Curve – See your mean maximal power, nice feature, but you can see this online too from the comfort of your sofa.
These features I have less experience with, but are added:
- Mountainbike Metrics – Jump, Grit and Flow is shown on the Edge and in connect.
- Trailforks maps – Trailforks data/maps embedded in the Edge 830
- ForkSight – shows you the options when you stop at a trail fork.
- Training Plan Gear & Weather Tips.
- ‘Find my Edge’ – Allows you to view your edge’s location – not sure how this works when not connected to WiFi..
- Use Traning Plans – I’ve never used a training plan from a site, so I can’t judge.
In the box
Both devices come in three flavours. ‘Just the unit’ which has, obviously, the device. Then you also get an aero holder, a stem holder, and a charging cable. There’s also a sensor bundle and a mountainbike bundle available for both, or there was. More about this later.
|Edge 830||Device Only||Sensor Bundle||MTB Bundle|
|Flush out-front mount||YES||YES|
|Heart rate monitor||YES|
Which one to buy?
It’s hard to say, the price is quite a difference at the moment, as the Edge 820 seems to be running out of stock, you’ll probably have to look at the second hand market, but then keep in mind that you might need to have the battery replaced. If you’re still undecided, have look at my productwatch for the Edge 830 and Edge 820. You’ll find more information, video’s, reviews and the latest and lowest prices!
Edge 820 prices
At the time of writing I could only find the device for $213 at Amazon.
Edge 830 prices